Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117181 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #2050 on: November 08, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
Meanwhile, daily draws are handing me more Cyan, Anzelm and Fran for like the past week+.

I couldn't do squat to Xande either, Sealing Blade we know doesn't stop meteor from the INtangir fight. And his MT fullbreak + meteor + fuckhueg hp combo is just...daunting. I have no idea what to do about it, myself.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: November 09, 2016, 08:33:59 AM »
RS:MS - So I decided to dust off my old Claudia file.  Apparently I've been playing too efficiently - ER 3 and all quests available then completed.  Claudia's a R1 Bard, Sylvan is a R3 Imperial Scholar, and Brau is a R3 Trader.  Not really sure what I should be doing with them...  Or now, really.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 09, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »
FFBE - Beat Xande, then did another run to get the bestiary data for the dragons.  Caught up on story mode dungeons and quests.  So... guess I'll just TM farm until the new event drops.  Back to back grind events with only a week in between is not cool.

Only thing I'm behind on is colosseum, still in the As of Advanced mode.  Wasn't expecting pvp to drop so soon.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2053 on: November 10, 2016, 03:27:22 AM »
CK: please tell me how to Xande. The wiki is useless as I don't own a Lightning.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: November 10, 2016, 03:53:38 AM »
WoFF: I think I'm at endgame given I just stopped the first massive wave of VILLAINS ULTIMATE SCHEME, my level is approaching 50, and all that.  Did most of the interventions, though a few are still left.

I have to say, reading the flavor text of all the characters is great as it even goes out of it's way to say something like "Yes, Lightning is 21 and yes, she's wearing her outfit from LR which means she should be much older...maybe she is...we can't really say!" or in the case of Enna Kros, calling her "the Lazy God" because her logic is basically "If Humans are a creation of gods, and gods are perfect, therefor humans are perfect too, therefor anything they do is automatically right, so I don't have to do a damn thing!"  There's obvious flaws in that logic, but then, we're talking about someone whose description ends with "Lazy God" so...
To be clear, Enna Kros = God is not a spoiler; you don't even finish the game's intro before she goes "oh yeah, I'm basically God."

To some degree, I feel like on top of this game being made for younger audiences, it was also made to prove that yes, Square-enix STILL knows how have fun with the FF series.  After something as dread and dull as Lightning Returns, and with FF14 being somewhat out of the standard FF Demographic because MMO (make no mistake; FF14 knows how to be silly), and with FF15 being clearly high on drama and action, with the "FANTASY BASED ON REALITY!", thus the aesthetic doesn't make it look colorful or anything...something in the mix kind of felt necessary to go "we still love the series, honest!"  This is coming from someone who is optomistic about FF15 to be clear. 

As far as FF Cameos go?   ...I don't know why Rikku is even in this game.  Very little interaction with other characters, barely resembles the character outside of design, is annoying as **** in an attempt to be cute, etc.

FFBE: Yeah, I'm chipping away at this game but I can't play more than a little bit each day.  the grind is just not my thing, which is sad because all the good basics are there.  Feels like it would have been better if it wasn't a gacha game.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: November 10, 2016, 05:14:37 AM »
CK: please tell me how to Xande. The wiki is useless as I don't own a Lightning.

My advice isn't particularly helpful since I'm stupidly OP now.  I'm like Snow in RK with full native Holy Trinity.

This guide is pretty good.  http://ffbe.kongbakpao.com/the-crystal-tower/  Make sure to defend on your second turn to reduce meteor damage.  Take someone with Fingersnap or Dispel other than your healer for turn 3.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2056 on: November 10, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
As far as FF Cameos go?   ...I don't know why Rikku is even in this game.  Very little interaction with other characters, barely resembles the character outside of design, is annoying as **** in an attempt to be cute, etc.

Is Rikku tolerable in any game outside of FFX?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: November 10, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »
Sadly, no.  To be fair, I think her only other appearances are FF10-2, WoFF, KH2, and games with no plot making her cringe-worthy elements superfluous like Record Keeper.

Go figure, all 3 of them base Rikku off her FF10-2 Form, so she's wearing an absolutely ridiculous outfit (even ignoring the fanservice, SHE HAS TISSUE PAPER AS SLEEVES WHAT THE HELL?) and her personality is basically "ditzy idiot!"  It's ashame because she was a character I really liked in FF10; I covered this in my huge FF10 rants (I need compile those into one place on that note...) 2 years ago, so I won't get into details here, but it's amazing just how Off the Mark Rikku in FF10-2 is compared to FF10 Rikku.
Heck, I'd honestly say Rikku's character transformation and the standard they go by now is way worse than what they've done to Cloud post Kingdom Hearts.  At least there, they eventually released AC Complete which stated "yeah, he's acting different because of xyz reasons.  We acknowledge this is not how Cloud was in FF7!" Rikku doesn't even have that; it's just "oh, we need a token Hyper Idiot for our Trio to balance out Paine's Emo and Yuna's overall serious character, RIKKU WILL BE THAT ROLE!"

...speaking of Cloud, having finished the interventions I have access to, I can say this is the most in-character he's been in a long time.  A big thing is that Cloud isn't all mopey for once, and in his last one, we learn "A silver haired swordsmen is running around!"  Cloud's response is "I MUST GO DEFEAT HIM!"  At first you're like "seriously?" but then you recall Cloud's motivation the entirety of FF7 after the Midgar Arc is "settling the score with Sephiroth" so this is actually fairly in-character for him.  This game has actually done it's homework I feel like, in this regard, as Rikku aside (which is more Square-enix taking the wrong aspects of the character rather than misundestanding them), the characters do feel faithful. 

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
FFBE:  Hoo boy a lot of stuff going on.  If you pulled Black Cat Lid during the Halloween banner, she destroys the Battle Arena with Hex Strike.

Redoing every dungeon in the game is going to suck... but so much lapis to be gained.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2059 on: November 11, 2016, 12:14:16 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Finished Chapter 7. Skells made the boss a complete cake walk. What's even better is that I had Alexa along with Synchronicity, allowing her to excel even with that crummy Urban model you receive after the proficiency exam. In terms of story, the chapter is at least attempting to provide some backstory for Irina and Gwin, though they still come off as bland charaters.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #2060 on: November 11, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »
Go figure, all 3 of them base Rikku off her FF10-2 Form, so she's wearing an absolutely ridiculous outfit (even ignoring the fanservice, SHE HAS TISSUE PAPER AS SLEEVES WHAT THE HELL?) and her personality is basically "ditzy idiot!"  It's ashame because she was a character I really liked in FF10; I covered this in my huge FF10 rants (I need compile those into one place on that note...) 2 years ago, so I won't get into details here, but it's amazing just how Off the Mark Rikku in FF10-2 is compared to FF10 Rikku.
Heck, I'd honestly say Rikku's character transformation and the standard they go by now is way worse than what they've done to Cloud post Kingdom Hearts.  At least there, they eventually released AC Complete which stated "yeah, he's acting different because of xyz reasons.  We acknowledge this is not how Cloud was in FF7!" Rikku doesn't even have that; it's just "oh, we need a token Hyper Idiot for our Trio to balance out Paine's Emo and Yuna's overall serious character, RIKKU WILL BE THAT ROLE!"

Yeah, Rikku was fine in the original FFX. It's a shame that people believe that she was a ditz right from her first game; even though she was almost as aware about what was going on in Spira as Auron was. It's like how people believe that Cloud was an emo since FF7 due to judging him based on his portrayal in other appearances.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: November 11, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
People have a tendency to judge characters by their most superficial traits. The misconception of Rikku being a ditz is something that predates any FFX sequels, because she's a teen girl and has a few childish mannerisms.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: November 11, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »
Rikku has never been tolerable.

Fuck that twit.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 14, 2016, 08:26:26 AM »
FFBE - Just did the daily summon, and I got...  Locke.  Eh, not bad.  That might make grinding easier.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2064 on: November 14, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »
Man, it would be nice to have Locke just so I can get a decent weapon for Cloud of Darkness.... ugh.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: November 14, 2016, 10:37:15 AM »
What's the trick to getting bonkers amount of Karma, or am I just stuck at like 80 Karma per 8 stamina (unless I get an OP RW like CK's Luneth)?

EDIT: Managed to draw a Tilith, so my Karma gain rate doubled...  But she still doesn't seem that good.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:18:36 AM by Magic Fanatic »

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: November 14, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »
People have a tendency to judge characters by their most superficial traits. The misconception of Rikku being a ditz is something that predates any FFX sequels, because she's a teen girl and has a few childish mannerisms.

It's as though these people think that immature and ditz mean the same thing.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: November 14, 2016, 12:04:18 PM »
What's the trick to getting bonkers amount of Karma, or am I just stuck at like 80 Karma per 8 stamina (unless I get an OP RW like CK's Luneth)?

EDIT: Managed to draw a Tilith, so my Karma gain rate doubled...  But she still doesn't seem that good.

It's a really bad event and you shouldn't expect to get very many things from King Mog.  So prioritize according to your needs.

Tilith is not very good now but is the best healer in the game when she gets her 6 star several months down the line.

Do you have Black Cat Lid?  Her Hex Strike auto-paralyzes and poisons the boss so you don't need a terribly strong team for the highest difficulty.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: November 14, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
Do you have Black Cat Lid?  Her Hex Strike auto-paralyzes and poisons the boss so you don't need a terribly strong team for the highest difficulty.

I have several, they're just not leveled.

Also got a few more Summon tickets, and did 1 on the BF Banner and two on the FF3 banner.  Got Elza, a second Refia, and Kain.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: November 14, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
BlazBlue Central Fiction: Act 1 of story mode complete. I miss the English cast. =(

Also completed every Normal Challenge except Litchi 10, which I'm still trying to grind out. Just can't quite manage the D 6C 421[C] linking correctly.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: November 14, 2016, 10:32:48 PM »

It's unfortunate but true.  Rikku isn't the only character who suffers from this.  I mean, as another example, for the longest time, people would basically swap Aerith and Tifa's personalities because Aerith is your typical staff chick in design and role in FF7 as the "mystical magical girl who keeps needing saving", while Tifa is the busty babe who punches things and runs a bar.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 14, 2016, 10:35:12 PM »
Final Fantasy X: Cleared the main game. Braska's Final Aeon was beaten on my second try due to me daydreaming the first time against the Yu Pagodas. The second attempt however went very smoothly. The ending was also a one which I found very moving. It's a shame that X2 and -Will- cheated it. The main post-game bits I've got to do include getting the Saturn Sigil, the Monster Arena, the Omega Ruins, and the Dark Aeons. Any expert opinions on which order I should do each of these in?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 15, 2016, 12:27:37 AM »
You can take on some arena fights before the Omega Ruins (Chimerageist, Stratoavis at minimum) but I'd save most for after. The Dark Aeons are generally stronger than arena monsters, though Nemesis is stronger than most of them.

Get the Saturn Sigil whenever you feel like it.

Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 15, 2016, 02:58:38 AM »
Ruins > Arena > Dark Aeons  is the most logical in terms of scaling upwards. Arena fights theoretically can be done at any time as well for all that doing it at end game requires some strategy and trickery in some fights. IIRC its possible to do most of them theoretically in a NSG outside of like Shinryu (which requires an extreme amount of luck) so if you're up for a puzzle solving type challenge, you can give those a go.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: November 15, 2016, 06:19:41 AM »
I'll note that the strategies for beating the Dark Aeons and arena in NSG require an insane amount of grinding (to max your aeon stats without touching Yuna's), which... kinda defeats the point of doing a NSG in my mind!

Maybe.