Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117230 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #2225 on: December 10, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
I have avoided the first two things, still don't know about the other ones. (I did notice the landship though and it is 100% ridiculous)

However one time my main went all "hey we could build an university for 2000000g!!" And her advisor went "uh yeah but we don't have the funds" and now my main refuses to talk about building an university again and I think it's over, I missed my window of opportunity

I went to see the dancer three times and now she's gone? What the hell was up with that

Another issue with the phone controls is that you might miss things on the world map that were obvious in the OG game. Niu do you have a RS2 world map with all the places?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:41:10 PM by Fenrir »

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2226 on: December 11, 2016, 12:59:06 AM »
Pokemon Moon: Beaten the Pokemon League. The Elite Four were pretty rough, especially Kahili's Toucannon due to Beak Blast burning most of my Flying killers. Kukui gave Cynthia a run for her money as hardest champion thanks to the combo of Stealth Rock from Lycanrock and Whirlwind from Braviary which allowed him to constantly switch my Pokemon about and have them lose health upon entry. Thankfully, the trouble I went through payed off with Tapu Koko as I was able to catch it on my first attempt and I was able to get a Nature which was suitable for a mixed attacker (Naive, lowers Special Defense while raising Speed). I am so going to nuke the Elite Four rematches with it and a bunch of Ultra Beasts.

Overall, Sun and Moon is easily my favourite game in the series. Z-moves are a welcome edition as they allow for buffs to once bottom of the barrel junk such as Splash and they are universal unlike with Mega Evolution from generation 6. I'm pretty sure no one misses HMs as you longer had to waste moveslots on your teammates or constantly go to the Pokemon Center to pick up 'HM slaves'. The added difficulty was extremely welcome after some of the hand holding which the generation 6 games did, even the Exp Share wasn't as overpowered in this game thanks to the game using the generation 5 growth formula which meant that way less experience was gained if your Pokemon were at a higher level when facing weaker ones. I've gone over my thoughts on the plot and characters in my previous post so I won't go on about them here. I also felt the soundtrack was a notch above the other Pokemon games. Poni Wilds, Vast Poni Canyon, the Elite Four, Champion and Tapu battle themes in particular were highlights for me. Everything else has been summed up by other users on the board.

Closing thoughts on my team:

Incineroar: I was dithering between either it or Primarina as my starter, but then I realised I wanted a Mimikyu in my team and the latter shared the Fairy type with it. Litten came in with a bang thanks to the amount of Bug and Grass Pokemon I fought early on and the entire line never really declined for me outside of Brooklet Hill. My main drawback for me with Incineroar was that Flare Blitz arrived way too late, through the move relearner at the Pokemon League as a matter of fact. Asides from that; Incineroar hit like a truck, even with Fire Blast working off the weaker stat.

Toucannon: Easily one of my best members. Trumbeak was able to learn Brick Break as soon as I got the TM for it, meaning that I was able to sweep the entire first trial with it. I also managed to get Skill Link on my Toucannon which allowed it to have wide coverage with moves such as Bullet Seed and Rock Blast, though the latter shared the same problem as Incineroar's Flare Blitz. Another main highlight with Toucannon was Beak Blast which could burn the opponent should they make contact with it while it is charging the move.

Wishiwashi: Either it or Araquanid was going to be my Water type of choice. Wishiwashi was extremely strong throughout the game thanks to how early you get the TM for Scald and the near cover legendary stats it has in School form. Issues I had with Wishiwashi were the low Speed and the weak coverage it has until Ice Beam is received at Mt Lanakila.

Golem (Alola): I was dithering between it or Alola Raichu as my Electric user. I kind of wish I went with Raichu looking back as, while Golem wasn't a bad Pokemon, it was painfully slow which meant it was subjected to a lot of confusion. Although the confusion damage chance was lowered to 33% in this game, Golem seemed to hurt itself all the time whenever the status was inflicted towards it. Despite my shortcomings with it, Golem got the job done thanks to its solid movepool and Study allowed me to cheese quite a few bosses that were packing super effective moves.

Mimikyu: MVP. While it isn't the most powerful Pokemon in the world, Disguise can allow it to set up on bosses while also allowing you to use it as a meat shield so you can heal or revive your other team members. My only issues with it were late Play Rough and Wood Hammer, though Leech Life and even Charm were more than enough to get me by.

Lunala: Mainly used it as a panic button if my other members were losing against the Elite Four due to large level different between it and the rest of my team (Level 55 in comparison to 50-52). Other than that, can't really say much else other than the fact that it's an obvious Uber and that Multiscale clone it has as an ability is extremely welcome.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 11, 2016, 01:51:57 AM »
I have avoided the first two things, still don't know about the other ones. (I did notice the landship though and it is 100% ridiculous)

However one time my main went all "hey we could build an university for 2000000g!!" And her advisor went "uh yeah but we don't have the funds" and now my main refuses to talk about building an university again and I think it's over, I missed my window of opportunity

Hmm? Unless the game bug out, you can still initiate the construction by sitting on tot he throne.
You 100% want the University as it is the requirement to NOT get into the land ship naked.
Doing land ship naked is bad, especially if your hp went above 512. Bokhon is going to destroy out right.
How do take down the land ship:

Build the university and complete the quiz. The strategist will show up and ask him to build a ship for you. The ship will show up in one of the port in Cumberland. You can now invade the land ship not naked.

And you already beaten Amazon? I assume you defeated Rockboquet as soon as you see her?
Anyway, sine she is dead now, Noel will go super mode on you when you fight him. You can still wall him by teaching everyone Sword Barrier though. But he probably is going to tore you into piece if you don't.

BTW, have you got the formations from the following:
Pirate, Herder, Amazon
If you don't, murder you Emperor using the cursed stone. Cursed Ring works too if you made it into a ring now. And keep on doing that until you can make those three your emperor to get the formation.
Get the one from Strategist too after the university is built.They are your friends against a number of bosses that just cheats.

Finally one mroe word of advise: Don't save the hero that ties to conquering the region for the last. Aka Bokhon, Rockboquet, Wagnus. If you do that, you'll permanently lose the chance of conquering those region.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 01:54:00 AM by Niu »

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 11, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »
Final Fantasy XV:

Finished.  Full media blackout probably wasn't worth it in the end.  The game is not finished, at least everything past chapter 8 is missing so much.  The game is so frontloaded.  I'd say it's the modern gaming equivalent of Xenogears which chapters 9-15 being Xenogears disc 2.  The big difference is that this time Square chose to leave the game fragmented was to sell DLC.  That is what makes it all more sour.  Oh well, at least the decision to let the player play around in the sandbox any time they want saved the game from being total trash.  Game time clocked in around 40 hours and 36 of that was entirely on Lucis.

The characters and story up until chapter 9 is down to earth and captures the "realism with fantasy" very well.  After that it gets pretty fucking retarded but that's par for the course for Final Fantasy.  At least there's enough fanservice (not just Cidney) to wash it all down.

6/10  It just sucks that the game was in development hell for so long that they couldn't wait any longer to get it out the door.

And despite all of this, it had it better than The Last Guardian.  Now that game could use another year of polish:

Imagine trying to command your cat to do tricks.  Now imagine the cat is 100x its normal size. Now it must protect you from life or death situations.  All while running in possibly the worse framerate since Dark Soul's Blightown.  That is The Last Guardian.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: December 11, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »
FF15: Finally decided to actually continue plot, so now at Chapter 9.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 11, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »
Niu I'll look at your post later but right now I want the possibility to ruin the game on my own

Right now I have conquered about half the world map, I've only beaten one lord, the hardest thing I've done is the termite scenario. (Which was pretty scary. Reminds me of the rats in RS3)
The only areas where there's new stuff to be found is the savannah / desert / tropical jungle one.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 11, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »
Ffxv platinum'd

Considering this and type 0 are the only games I've ever managed to achieve the platinum trophy, square needed to get more creative.

I haven't even finished most of the end game stuff either.

This game could have used a glossary or database of sorts.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 11, 2016, 08:32:53 PM »
Worlds of Final Fantasy - this is hella slow to start.  I was sort of on the fence.  Then there was a Cactuar Train with a Cactuar Conductor.

You've got my attention.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 11, 2016, 11:18:30 PM »
Overwatch:  So I'd been maining Torbjorn on defense maps.  Then I decided to try out Symmetra.  New main.  She is either the worst character on your team or the best.  When she gets set up properly she can control an entire defense objective by herself.  Push the payload?  Ha, you won't even reach the payload.  The upcoming buffs to her should make her better, although I'll miss the L2 shields.

Still mostly playing Roadhog or Lucio on attacks.  I don't really have a good offense character because I suck at aiming.  That's why Lucio works because I can spray and pray.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 11, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
Symmetra is kinda meh right now (namely you really need all 6 turrets to be set up to be effective, but can only put up 3 at the start of the match. So, you either have to hope your teammates can hold the other team off while you wait for your sentries to charge, OR set up pretty far back meaning you won't really be helping your team until a couple minutes into the match), but I'm looking forward to playing her again after the update. In addition to fixing my problem with playing her, her new Shield Generator Ult is pretty exciting since it finally gives the large, empty side paths (particularly pointless on Volskaya Industries) a legitimate use other than blinking through them as Tracer or sneaking up on clumps of dudes as Junkrat.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: December 12, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »

FF15: Don't take a selfie with your dick.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2236 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Completed chapter 10. Zu Pharg started out pretty difficult until I realised that there were multiple targets that I was to dispose of (brainfart on my end), after that the boss was rather simple thanks to the equipment I given to all four of my skells (G-Buster and Pheonix did excellent damage despite the boss's immunities to their status). Thanks to the experience jackpot that Zu Pharg given to my team members, it means that my avatar is at the correct level to complete Celica's recruitment mission.

Pokemon Moon: Started the Ultra Beast sidequest. Jesus, why do Game Freak like using Looker so much? Is he even that popular with the fanbase? At least meeting Looker again will allow us to catch Ultra Beasts as most of them are very formidable in battle. I've caught Nihilego who was pretty simple thanks to the Beast Balls Wicke gave me and Mild (+ Special Attack, - Defense) is a pretty sweet nature for a Pokemon designed as a mage.

On the topic of catching Pokemon, I decided to catch the other Tapus. They were pretty difficult to catch as Tapu Lele and Tapu Bulu hit my team members like trucks, while Tapu Fini's Aqua Ring meant that it wouldn't keep with less than 25% of its HP. I never checked Tapu Fini's nature as it is the worst of the Land Spirits due to Misty Terrain's lack of damage bonuses in comparison to the others as well as it preventing Scald from burning opponents. With the other two Land Spirits, Tapu Bulu had Bashful (no stat bonuses or decreases) and Tapu Lele had Mild which I had no objections with as the former doesn't lose any Physical Attack while the latter receives a boost towards their Special Attack stat.

Team so far:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:49:52 AM by LordDirtyBrit »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 13, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
Worlds of Final Fantasy - this is hella slow to start.  I was sort of on the fence.  Then there was a Cactuar Train with a Cactuar Conductor.

You've got my attention.

Honestly, the opening is kind of a turn off and painful to playthrough on a first time.  Lot's of tutorial and exposition nonsense for even the most basic of ideas, that either they could have let the player figure out, integrated actual gameplay into the mix, or some details they simply could have held off until later and just revealed them when appropriate rather than go "WE MUST SET EVERYTHING UP NOW!"  The game's pace picks up dramatically once you get to Cornelia, which is thankfully early, but yeah, the Nine Wood Hills part and first "dungeon" are among the worst opening the series (spin off or mainline) has had, just because it's so boring

Speaking of games with wonky paces in that series...

Final Fantasy 15: Completed.

Short form: It's a decent game overall but flawed in many ways, and I can only hope Tabata's mega-patch he's planning to fix the game does in fact address the issues.

Long Form!!!

FF15 is a game that had troubled development and it shows, and it's kind of miraculous the product we got was the quality it is.  It's got a lot of issues, make no mistake.  As noted by others, plot feels like it's incomplete and we're only seeing the cliff's note version of it once Chapter 13 hits (Chapter 11/12 feel like it's a case of "nah, not enough actually happens here" for all that some stuff off-screen happens, which may be the point of the DLCs that focus on Non-Noctis events.  Chapter 9/10 were generally alright in this regard, albeit definitely room for improvement but didn't feel comparatively rushed.)  First off, let's make it clear that FF15 did not have 10 years of development time.  The real situation was Kitase and Toriyama were all "FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS!  We've barely showed off FF13, but we have other games planned with it!" and basically demanded Nomura come up with a proof-of-concept Trailer and Tech Demo of the engine, show that off, and then they did...nothing until about 2012 or so, where-in they finally went "oh, right, we should probably work on this" and renamed it FF15.

FF15's final product is nothing like FFv13 was going to be.  In fact, that's what I feel is a large part of why Chapter 14 feels so distant compared to everything else.  The imagery, the style, the off-the-rails plot...this all feels like relics of when the game was FFv13, and heavily invokes Kingdom Hearts-like aspects too.  Heck, Noctis vs. the Final Boss strikes a heavy resemblance in style, imagery, etc. to Sora vs. Xemnas in KH2.  It feels like "Well we already made all these assets when it was still FFv13, Tabata, make sure you put them to use!"  You can tell the game has 3 aspects to it and what happened each:

-What parts Tabata worked on from scratch.  This is basically everything Chapter 1 through 8.  It's heavily gameplay oriented, plot is straight forward and simple ("Noctis, go find the various awesome macguffins so you can become a bad ass!  Don't worry, we'll get to your fiance eventually!"), and feels very secondary to the actual game which is more a character dynamic study of the 4 dudes and gameplay elements.  This is easily the best part of the game, and where a majority of the playtime takes place, even if you bee-line it.

-What parts of the game were basically "Nomura wrote this and demanded these be kept into the game!"  This is Chapters 9 through 13.  You can tell there were IDEAS here, but no one had any idea of how to connect them, so they just kind of winged it since the ideas are so distant.   That honestly is Nomura plot in a nutshell, and it's known that v13 was going to be 3 separate stories, possibly games, but he didn't have any sort of idea of how to connect the events, just hoped they'd work again.  Nomura does not know how to plot, this cannot be expressed enough; he's ok as a director and good as an artist, but as a writer, KEEP HIM AWAY!
Basically, from what i understand, FFv13's plot would be like if we took Lord of the Rings, ended Fellowship of the Rings at the end of Moria, and started Two Towers are the Battle of Helms Deep, with Frodo and Sam already well on their way to Mordor with Gollum, there'd be a lot of questions and "Wait how did we get there?  Did we miss something?"  Obviously, Lord of the Rings didn't do that and the transitions made sense because, you know, Tolkien knew what he was doing (and Jackson, by extension, recognized that and mostly kept that intact.)

-The parts of the game that are relics of v13 that for some reason they decided to keep.  Chapter 14 really feels like that.  Tabata clearly did his best to try and adapt this TO fit FF15, recognizing that it's so drastically different they had to shake up the game massively, but if that were the case, feels like Chapter 14 really should have been longer to let all that settle in rather than just be "11th hour Final chapter."  From what I've read, Chapter 14 was intended to be much bigger and a lot more to it, like being able to explore Lestallum, and plot details were more fleshed out, but well, troubled development.

Allegedly, the devs of FF15 are not entirely pleased with the product.  They didn't rush the game because they wanted, they did it because apparently they were told "GET THIS OUT BY THE END OF 2016 OR ELSE!"  Tabata's "Patchwork Plot" sounds like something he wants to do because he isn't fond of the story as it's presented, nor is the dev team, and they really want to finish things.  Based off everything I've read pre-release, it sounds legit too; there was a definite sense of "we really want this game to be fantastic" and they just ran out of time.  For example, Episode Duscae?  Basically completely gutted based off fan-feedback and redid the battle system, because Episode Duscae's was troubling (Why should I equip weapons for specific features, when just a simple weapon swap mechanic accomplishes more for less work?)  They show the game to Sakaguchi, because why not show the guy who started the franchise what it's coming, and he responds with constructive criticism, to which Tabata apparently went "you know, you're probably right, we'll take that into account!" 

The only thing I feel they botched was how they handled females.  The full male party I can deal with; they stated they wanted to work with a bromance thing, whatever, I'm fine, but the females in the game aren't exactly the best handled.  Ok, Aranea is alright, just needs more screen time.  They demonstrated she's a strong female who is capable of keeping up with the best fighters in the world, and she's not this "STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN!" stereotype, just a female soldier (which Prompto is constantly lusting over...look, Prompto is basically a frat boy, what do you expect?) with a military ranking.  Iris isn't bad either, because yeah, a teenage civilian girl wouldn't be strong and powerful but they demonstrated she does want to do what she can to help, and they even gave her some fun little gameplay shenanigans (making her a temp was silly, but it worked.  She was basically this game's Larsa.)  unfortunately, those are the only females I can give the game credit for (...go figure, they're the two temps as well.)

Cindy is well known.  I don't mind the idea of a Female-Cid stand-in (nevermind there is a Cid in the game...) but that outfit...come on guys.  Ok, if they gave her actual pants or a full jumpsuit and just said she's opening her top because she's not working? I could buy the design, since "we can believe she zips up when does actual work" but she exposes so much skin she can't just cover up, and on top of that, the game treats her as nothing but eye-candy (Aranea and Iris clearly avoid this.)  Clearly open outfit exposing cleavage of Tifa-sized breasts, a "babe car-wash" sequence anytime you fill up gas at Hammerhead, and the game loves to focus on angles that emphasize her chest...there's really no getting around it.  Cindy is there for fanservice, plain and simple.

And then there's Luna.  Now I wanted to believe Tabata when he said Luna was going to be this strong female lead despite not being a party member.  That'd have been cool, and Kingsglaive even demonstrated some hope.  Then the game comes out and Luna's role is...far smaller than you'd think.  She's the female lead by default only, and she really is just a subversion of the Distressed Damsel trope, subverted because she's technically not in any sort of danger but the whole "exists as an object of desire for the Main Character" thing is completely there, and her role is "glorified delivery girl."  I wouldn't mind this that much except that FF15 is one of the only games that can't get away with this stunt.  Again, it's easily the most male-centric game in the series, so a character like Luna needs to make a strong impression.  Her scene with Leviathan was good, I'll be fair, because here we have a non-combatant standing up to a god that's basically threatening and tossing her around, but she refuses to yield, and I even love how they're showing her receive battle damage with a bruised shoulder, ripped dress, and a gash on her face.  It got the point across "yes, Leviathan is legitimately HURTING HER, but she's still standing her ground."  That's great! More of that! The problem?
They literally kill her off shortly after that sequence.  This is the ONE GAME where you shouldn't kill off your female lead!  When that happened, any sort of defense I could muster about FF15's male-centric nature just went out the window.  There was basically ONE THING you shouldn't do, and they went and did it.  I have to wonder if this was entirely Nomura's idea and he refused to let them remove that, and Tabata wanted to respect the "original vision", thus kept it in, or if the team really didn't realize what they were doing.

They might be able to fix this with the patch though; they stated they wanted "more playable characters" and I can only imagine Aranea, if no one else, will be added in some manner.  Given her role is so minimal when the plot actually starts, I could see them gutting her entirely from the one scene she's in and finding a way to go "she joins the boys!" In fact, with Iris' brief point and Aranea joining potential, it'd actually get the point across about why the "ALL MALE PARTY" they decided:

Males act differently among themselves than among females.  You can kind of see this with Iris since the dynamic does change a bit in the group, and in a way that suggests "they're doing this subconsciously."  With an actual female joining, it'd further get the point across, since if you could swap party members, you could even exchange the dialog among the guys to reflect that (namely Prompto and Gladio remark completely differently whether there's a female in the team or not TO EACH OTHER.)

I'm not really offended by this, but it does rub me the wrong way that they were parading around Luna as this excellent female NPC who is strong and is totally the Deuterogonist, but in the end, she's just the latest iteration of Princess Sarah...and this is right after they released an FF game that had a PARODY version of Princess Sarah herself. 

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE, the Villain is pretty fun.  Oh sure, there's a lot left out in terms of writing, because FF15's plot is incomplete (something the team has basically admitted and said they want to fix...), but if nothing else?  He has character and personality.  I don't think we've had a villain of this style since...well...Kuja, basically.  He's not deep or complex but he does ooze with personality...I guess you could argue Seymour too, if only because the voice actor added a lot there, but I digress, since then our villains have been...well...boring in terms of personality.  In fact, when playing the game, I felt almost like the villain was an attempt at creating Kefka but adapting him to FF15's tone and style, such that he couldn't be quite as over the top ridiculous, which was a good thing here since it made him come off as his own thing rather than a Kefka-rip off if that makes sense.  This isn't saying he's better than Kefka, more that Kefka wouldn't work as is in the story or tone of FF15.  Also he single-handedly proves that Voice Acting can improve a character immensely, and anyone who says "VOICE ACTING IS WHY RPG PLOTS ARE BAD NOW!" are just wrong; this character loses a lot of his charm and fun value without the voice acting clearly being as hammy and over the top as it is.
It's nice that what we saw in Kingsglaive was in fact a nice snapshot of the character as a whole, and not just a one-off.  He's over the top and hammy, yet not to a point where it compromises the game.  Would like a better explanation on his plot, motivations, etc. since, as I said, there's a lot FF15 left out.

Gameplay, FF15 is generally fine, but has some hiccups.  Camera Angles go berserk when fighting large enemies, the whole HOLD VS. PRESS mechanic is something I am generally not fond of outside of charging mechanics, so you're trying to do a Warp Point but it's not responding...you aren't sure if it's because "am I not targeting it properly?" or "did I not hold it down long enough?"  They should have some sort of visual indicator to note "Yes, you are doing this right now, it just hasn't activated!" like, say, have Noctis glow blue when readying a Warp Point or something.  At first the whole "You take so much damage and are dying a lot" pissed me off and dodging things can be a pain, but I slowly realized...they expect that of you, and expect you to use items a lot.  That's why there's a lot of potions, Elixirs, etc.  Heck, you get a lot more Megalixirs and Mega Phoenix's by casually walking than you'd think.  I didn't use many of the odd-ball items, but it's clear the team built the game around how there's a lot of ways to take damage by being blind-sided, bad camera angles, your characters being stupid and not knowing how to dodge, etc.  It can be frustrating, but the game at least knows the problem and gives you tools to work around it, rather than expecting you to simply "git gud."  I'm not saying the "git gud" mindset is bad so much as FF15 is making it clear it's NOT trying to be a Dark Souls style game, so you don't have to learn via Trial and Error.
It's very hard to actually game-over in this game.  It says you game over when "Noctis' MHP reaches 0", but even then, you seem to have a grace period window that lets you throw a Phoenix Down on yourself, and plenty of time to react. 

Music...simply put, the stuff from FFv13 is :/.  Omnis Lacrimas is about as generic and bland "BIG CHOIR ORCHESTRAL!" and feels like it was made during that era of AAA games where EVERYTHING had to be that.  Somnus is also like the most bland melody ever, and if it's the main theme of the game...it really fails as one, because it barely plays until the Chapter 14 where they shove it a lot...again further emphasizing that Chapter 14 is just a result of stuff made for v13 they didn't want to ditch.  In many ways, Valse De Fantastica felt like a more legitimate game theme, since you hear it a lot if only because it's one of the overworld themes (generally a trademark of FF Overworld themes I might add!), it's got a catchy and pleasing melody, plays in Justice Monsters V, and frankly feels built for the game.  Also, the whole theme of Sleep, Dreams, Hallucinations, is NOT present in FF15 at all, like it was going to be in FFv13...it's just the capital city is Insomnia because "Why bother renaming it?" and the name of the song.  If I had to guess the theme of FF15, it'd be "Birthright" or "Legacy" since it's all about Noctis living up to that and the game ends when...well...he does exactly that, and the villain comes off as a corrupted version of that as well.  It sure as hell isn't anything relating to sleep.
As a result, Somnus feels like a very out-of-date melody for the game and one they just couldn't drop because they promoted the **** out of it when v13 was still a thing.  Heck, they even replace it as the title theme in the game with Noctis' theme, a far more fitting melody, when you beat the game.

Non-FFv13 songs range from OK to Great.  Apocalyptic Noctis/Aquarius is Omnis Lacrimas done right.  It's got the choir chanting but the melody actually sounds epic and stand out, not just "WE'RE OVER ORCHESTRATED WITH A LATIN CHOIR!"and actually fits the points of the game it plays beautifully (Omnis Lacrimas just plays whenever a big monster appears, which isn't quite as dramatic as you'd hope.)  The standard battle themes are generally fine, and as I said, Valse de Fantastic is great.

Oh and yes, I totally appreciate them putting OSTs of various FF games in there, just to make traveling a bit more diverse.  Seeing as the music when traveling even on foot sometimes is just non-existent, having an alternative to play music from various parts of the series is a nice supplement.  Also FF15 shows actual respect for the series as a whole despite being so different.  Little name nods ("Junon Motor Oil"), putting in mainstays and wearing them proudly like enemy designs, Biggs/Wedge, etc., usage of the classic FF mainstay themes (I was even thinking "Say, Final Fantasy is suppose to be in this game, where the hell is it?" ...only for it to literally kick in 3 seconds later...no I'm serious), etc.  So it somehow retains that FF feel despite not being really FF like at all...it's bizarre!

One last thing to mention: Chapter 13.

What were they thinking?  No it's not THE WORST THING THE SERIES HAS EVER DONE, but it still sucks.  The item you get is overhyped throughout the game then you finally get it and it's awkward and wonky, and very limited?  And you're stuck using only it for a large part of the chapter, it's only once you get another weapon that something resembling fun can happen again.  It also long overstays it's welcome.  The game felt like it went from "Kingdom Hearts meets Skyrim" to "Resident Evil meets Metal Gear Solid" and it's jarring.  Apparently the devs thought it'd be a neat change of pace in the game, but it didn't turn out to be popular among fans because...well...we played 12 chapters of the game getting it ingrained to play in this specific way, and you're telling us "nope can't do it!"

For a parallel, imagine playing FF13, and when you reach Eden, Lightning is separated from the team, and you're expected to solo the next part, except all her Roles are banned but a unique Role in "Savior" that activates only there, which allows only 3 actions:
-A 5 bar action that takes a long time to activate but will instantly kill the enemy
-A counter move that does crappy damage
-A move that drains all her CP and Action, but does massive damage, and can only be used under specific circumstances.

Now add in how she has to deal with a bunch of enemies she's expecting to avoid in TIGHT CORRIDORS (before someone makes a joke about FF13, it didn't have TIGHT Corridors akin to stealth games), and if an enemy aggros her, she has to engage it before she can continue.  You're expected to avoid the enemies, but avoiding them is anything but trivial...

Does that sound like fun?  Of course not; you're stripping FF13 of everything it was outside of a very core system, and expecting people to forget everything they learned in favor of relying on a whole new set of player-skills, knowledge, etc. right at the end of the game.   At least when you get an actual weapon, it doesn't become TOO bad, just a bit exhausting and monotonous (using the FF13 parallels, it'd be like if Lightning got Commando back mid-way, and she can now aggro enemies on raw damage.  Fun? Not really, but at least the game is starting to resemble itself again.)
I'm glad that the FF15 devs actually listened and said they're going to attempt to restructure Chapter 13 because that was just not a fun part, and it's the longest chapter in the game based on forced plot content.

I think I give the game a 7/10.  If the improvements from the (free) patch are as notable as Tabata is making them out to be, that value could easily go up.  As it stands, the game being good as it is is kind of miraculous considering the clusterfuck of a development it had based on what I've read.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:03 PM »
Meep, Luna is entirely Tabata's idea.
He removed Stella in favor Luna because things can't work out otherwise. Keeping Stella will exceed his ability to fix things.
Stella was meant to be an antagonist that fights Noctis time to time.
Though, I think the convenient delivery girl IS the purpose of Luna or else there is no reason to remove Stella.

BTW, the problem of Nomura plot is this time is.... well, he didn't prepare it for a single game, it is also far more character centric with multiple antagonists plotting their own thing all over the place. You have Stella, her brother, the mad scientist guy, the emperor, and the chancellor all doing their separate things.
Tabata was left with this mess that he has cut most because the project is reduced to one game, yet still has to keep some because he can't just say no to Nomura. So the result is a massive incoherent mass.
Another big mass is that they removed Etro. Since she is the cause for a lot of things originally. Without her, well, a lot of things don't make sense anymore. Also one reason why Stella gets replaced by Luna.

Anyway, the end result is what we see from ch.13 and on. Rush rush rush and bunch of senseless mess. Because chancellor is the only person who is doing things in the final product. Whne it originally takes like 5 different anatagnist doing their own thing to lead things into that situation.
Which is why I hate the idea of keeping Nomura's stuff. There is simply no way to work it out. They should do the entire game ch.1~8 style with Tabata's own thing. As in, 4 bros is having a nice trip to power Noctis up for the battle to come, and no plot at all out side some summons are being mean moment and encounter with Stella and her bro.
And then let Nomura come back to do a 15-2 with the plot he wants after he is done with KH3.
But from I heard, Nomura plot is going to be some bad and sappy melodrama, which I absolutely do not want to see. Let things stay as four bros having fun okay?

Also, give FF13v music a break. At least it has Gratia Mundi, and its arrangement in FF15 is great!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 13, 2016, 07:46:45 PM »
Actually, there has been recent things that came out (someone leaked the entirety of FF15's plot 100% accurately months ago, but no one paid attention to it until after FF15 when you can, you know, check it, and he has since come out and stated a bunch of details relating to FFv13), and the whole "Stella was going to be an antagonist!" thing was not actually the intent.  Noctis was going to have killed her before the game even began, and the Stella in the game was a hallucination, dream, ghost, etc., and Noctis was going to eventually remember "oh right, I did that" since the game's themes were about that.  When that theme was dropped, the entire premise of Stella completely falls apart...

While Luna is a pretty blech character, i think they made the right call removing Stella from the equation.

And no, the Nomura plot problems this time is he planned around 3 clearly separate games that he wanted all in one, and wanted something of an episodic release, but never actually considered how to connect the 3 individual stories.  Like I said, see my LotR parallel, where those work because, you know, Tolkien made one story that he split into 3 separate parts (technically 6...), with each part focusing on a different aspect, with logical transitions, or a change of PoV to highlight parallel events.  FFv13, it was like "ok, road trip done, NOW WE DO EPIC" "How..do we get from Road Trip to epic?" "Who cares, JUST MAKE IT COOL!"  Nomura is, as I said, an artist, not a writer.  He's fine as a director of SOMEONE ELSE's work, but his own writing is off the walls because he doesn't understand basic plot structure.  He thinks of individual events, but never actually connects them.

I myself will admit to be no better than him, but the difference I'm not paid to do that stuff, nor do I pretend to be good at it!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 13, 2016, 09:34:06 PM »
That's a assumption I'll not make, though.
I have been checking around Japanese fandom, and there are various versions of FF13v plot leak going on. But their legitimacy is still up in the air.

This includes both on how Stella was going to be handled and how the original 3 episode games will connect.

But I won't argue to the point that Nomura is a bad writer. KH itself is getting increasingly nonsensical with KHX. (I regretted spending money on that trash.)

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 13, 2016, 09:49:27 PM »
I will try the new game plus feature that was rumored to be added and hope the 2nd playthrough is a better experience.

I dunno about you guys, but my car's music was set to xi ost and almost nothing else.

Man that game had some good music.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 14, 2016, 01:23:33 AM »
PokeSun:  Beat the Lurantis trial, which was the first difficult fight in the game so far.  Currently using Drowzee (just evolved, hope he still dabs), Snorlax, Hariyama, Magnemite, whatever the grass starter second evolution is called, Salandit (underleveled).

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 15, 2016, 07:21:26 AM »
Pokémon Sun - E4 and Champion defeated

This was a fun team.  I don't have a clearly defined MVP, but Salazzle has to be my favorite non-legendary this gen.

The only other notable Pokémon in my party that was somewhat retired was Tsareena.  I really have no answer for...  A lot of things actually, but the worst of all is other Fire Types.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2244 on: December 16, 2016, 12:42:21 AM »
Final Fantasy X: Beaten every monster in the species conquest asides Iron Clad and I have also defeated Dark Valefor, Ifrit and Ixion. I'll take a break from the post game for now so I can catch up with other games I haven't played or beaten yet.

Dalmations 3: This was a cheap Dingo Pictures film released on to a PS2 disc for some reason. I found the entire 45 minute film on Youtube and decided to see how bad it was.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Completed chapter 11. O'rrh Sim Castle was the closest we've had to a dungeon in this game and it wasn't so bad apart from the Force Seidr fight, even then I just needed to rework my Soul Voices so that they suited my party build. Lao is a pretty obvious traitor thanks to the dark clothing and the fact that the E3 2014 trailer outright states that he is a traitor. Once Lao's Prog Ares is defeated; the scene afterwards sort of reminds me of the scene where Metal Face is defeated in the original game, only replace Dunban with Elma and Shulk with Lin. You can kind of side with both parties, what I don't like in this game is that your avatar sides with Lin without any input from the player. Kind of defeats the purpose of an avatar if the game if forcing you what to believe anyway.

Pokemon Moon: Continuing the rest of the Ultra Beast sidequest. I decided to add Pheromosa due to its monsterous offensive stats and Celesteela as I'm huge sucker for its defenses and diverse movepool. I had to trade the other Celesteela that I could access to ThatMasterLemon in exchange for a Katana as he seemed to have a similar mindset to it. I'm about to catch Guzzlord, which has required me to explore sections of Poni Island that were blocked off before defeating the champion. Not that it matters because I get to listen to more of the majestic Poni Wilds song  ;D

Team so far:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:48:29 AM by LordDirtyBrit »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 16, 2016, 02:22:11 AM »
Overwatch:  So I picked a good time to become a Symmetra main.  The buffs are outstanding.  The portable shield is decent, the shield generator is good, but the best thing is the range increase on her primary fire.  She can actually lock onto people long enough to build a decent charge now.  I get so many play of the games by sneaking behind the enemy lines and wiping the entire team with primary fire.

I'm playing her in all games, offense and defense and it's working beautifully.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 16, 2016, 02:31:59 AM »
Laser chainsaw never stops.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #2247 on: December 16, 2016, 05:47:21 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Did I mention I was playing this? I've just cleared Chapter 11 with a team of Cross, Elma, Lin, and Doug. The boss fight was moderate in difficulty due to the parts when it decided to turn invincible for brief moments. I'm now clearing some more Definion-based missions in order to clear more of the prerequisites to start the "Mia is Missing" mission. One would wonder why I'm doing all this for a character who is next to useless outside of the post-game, OCD I guess.

Pokemon Sun: Beaten the Pokemon League whilst wearing a dorky smile during the ending. Tapu Koko was surprisingly easy to catch despite the fact that I was playing the game during the day, meaning that my Dusk Balls didn't worked as well as they could have. Thankfully, the Nature was a neutral one (Docile) so I could use it in my team whilst not having a hindered stat which would've been important (e.g. its magic stat). I've caught all of the Tapus, Lele and Fini were rather annoying, and I'm now in the process of catching the Ultra Beasts. Thanks to Brit, I managed to grab a Celesteela in exchange for one of my many Kartanas. The last one I need to grab is Guzzlord, the one which involves me exploring more of Poni in order for me to find it.

My team so far:

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: December 16, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »
Real question why is trying to play ME2 legitimately on PC such a damn hassle?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 16, 2016, 07:03:32 PM »
I had the same question about ME3 DLC.

For some reason, I have decided to replay BOF1. And for even less reason, have decided to write 2016 America x BOF1 fanfic while I play. I am currently in the cave with Nina and Sr 1 and Sr 2. Compelling cast there.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!