imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117183 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #2275 on: December 19, 2016, 05:51:43 PM »
I also spotted a Not!Jim in the credits list of Patreon backers. ^.^

Yeah that sounds like something I would do
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: December 19, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »
Pillars of Eternity: Started playing this again. Not sure if it's just my mood or the various revisions this game has had since it was new, but I'm having a lot more fun this time. Not that it was bad originally or anything. Just clicking more this time around.

Project Diva X: Getting Excellent on all Hard songs. Also picked up my first PD Perfect ever. Woo.

Monster Rancher 2: Monster Rancher urge kicked in and bought MR4, but that's not being delivered for somewhere between 1 and 8 more days. So started playing MR2 again. Also I've never technically beat MR2, so, you know, might as well do that. I'll jump into MR4 when that shows up to compare the two games close to each other!

Took me a while to get an emulator that I think is reliably doing Disc Stone stuff. It's really hard to tell when I'm getting unlucky vs when image files are just spitting out the same stuff.

Anyhow. A brief chronicle of my ranch thus far.

We started our adventures with Soppy, a Zuum/Arrowhead. He proved to be a loyal and loving monster quite quickly, though his early days were fraught with stress. His skill and defense made him pretty good in combat, though he hit with all the fury of an angry sponge. He made it to A Rank at 72-0. Not bad for a first monster.

My follow-up to Soppy, Jim, a Plant/Zuum (spawned from a DDR game) proved less successful. He was quite high stress and his initial skills made battling with him very difficult. I attempted to raise him for Adventures, but it just didn't pan out. He retired fairly early for his species, no doubt because of the endless stress endured during his formative years.

Following that was Tide, a Pixie/Monol (spawned from Wild Arms 2). Tide took to my training methods quite well, particular since I had the finances to buy stuff to support the training. Despite some oddities, Tide worked quite well, reaching 999 Int and a healthy 450 odd HP to make adventuring possible (getting me the items to unlock Jokers, Durahans, and Phoenixes), and also had a decent career, making it to A rank on the series of a LOT of KOs. Unfortunately, Tide's otherwise lackluster stats led to some crushing defeats (835 damage to the face when you don't have that many HP is bad) and I missed some early warning signs, leading to Tide dropping dead. =(

Seeking to take a break from disc spinning for new monsters, I merged Soppy and Jim with the help of the Joker mask, creating Buysoap, the scythe wielding monstrosity who keeps cheating on his goddamn drills. We'll see how he goes. Historically I have trouble with bad tempered monsters.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:28:09 PM by AndrewRogue »

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2277 on: December 19, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
Pokemon Moon: Finished the Ultra Beast sidequest. I plan on scavenging the Alola region for any last Zygarde cores, pick up any gifts and fight and trainers I'm missing and then rematch the Elite Four. After completing the Ultra Beast sidequest, I decided to make a stop at the Battle Tree and was forced into a fight against either Red or Blue. Man I should've healed as Red almost mopped the floor with me. Even Pikachu hit hard thanks to the Light Ball it was holding

My team is pretty much unchanged from my last post.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Decided to replay this one as I'm interested in A Link Between Worlds and I want to see how the two games compare. Damn did I miss this style of Zelda as opposed to the slow paced 3D games. I've just finished the Eastern Palace and I still reckon I could get the Master Sword in the time it takes me to finish Dodongo's Cavern in Ocarina of Time.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: December 19, 2016, 10:22:01 PM »
I think you mixed up your Jims and your K Sopps there Andy.

Bravely Second - this game has France be the moon, a main character mixing Gravy metaphors up all the time leading to "coup de gravy" and a Bishop who looks like a fat Wolverine called Nikolai Nikolovic.

10/10 game of the year.

Charioteer is more best than I expected.  Fencer looks sad and not playing nicely with cross class stuff, probably nice in challenges though.

Mass Effect 2 - people talking ME3 here and another friend playing it made me want to replay.  Used the skip ME1 DLC.  Currently just finished Horizon.  Not sure who I will pick up first in the second wave of recruits.   Playing Engineer because of reduced research costs meaning less mining.  Also because Engineer's my shit in this series.  Think I will pick Sniper Rifle as my weapon training and use the Viper since my aim has got worse with a heavy pistol, that or the gunplay is just tighter in 3 than 2
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: December 20, 2016, 01:13:09 AM »
Also, I believe I was spawned from Jet Moto 2

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: December 20, 2016, 02:19:08 AM »
Checks out.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: December 20, 2016, 04:29:12 AM »
Bravely Second - this game has France be the moon, a main character mixing Gravy metaphors up all the time leading to "coup de gravy" and a Bishop who looks like a fat Wolverine called Nikolai Nikolovic.

10/10 game of the year.

Charioteer is more best than I expected.  Fencer looks sad and not playing nicely with cross class stuff, probably nice in challenges though

Excellent. I look forward to you playing this and not just because it is a pretty good game that more people need to play.

FF13 - So I beat Chapter 9 under No Crystarium rules. Most of the chapter features a fixed party of Lightning/Fang/Hope, Protect/Slow are my only statuses. The following things are jerks:
-Deckdrones, which are quite capable of overwhelming even Protected Sentinel strats at my level with their ST damage blitz. And by "overwhelming" I mean "killing the sentinel and then immediately retargeting and then killing Lightning".
-PSICOM Huntresses whose buff parade I can't dispel (leading to nasty beatdowns), and they randomly half physical/magical damage because misandry.
-Vikings. One isn't bad, but they can do loads of fire physical damage (Barfire sure would be nice). Slow helps keep 'em under control. When they show up in large numbers that's bad.
-Vespid Soldiers cast wind spells and I don't have shell, too many at once is a bad time if I can't blitz one down fast.

Kalavinka is the mini-boss and not too bad, his big thing is a nasty Hellstorm Bolt which does big physical damage. Lightning with my best +HP Bangle can just survive it under Protect (with Fang in SEN because every little bit counts). Otherwise he's not too notable, Slow and Protect both work at least. One reset here, the easiest boss since Skytank.

Final section of the Palamecia lets me choose my party, which means I get to choose how to die horribly, because a lot of the random formations here are brutal. Lightning is forced sadly, which is bad since she has the second worst HP and no tricks. I usually use Hope/Fang for the other two anyway since no Hope = Lightning dies too easily and Fang just has the best stats + hey Slow is cool. PSICOM Destroyers can make short work of my party with their bazookas, and there are a few other scary formations. I'm able to defeat just enough of the formations to get every treasure, though (fortunately there are quite a few paths through here to do so).

Barthandelus 1 - Is brutal, as expected. He has four subparts that you have to kill first. At first they're not too bad, using L1 spells, but after a certain amount of time they will power up and start using -ara spells which have some AoE. After even more time they power up again and use -aga spells, this is brutal. Each of the four parts is weak to one element and absorbs the other (which it uses). I don't have Shell. Fang is more or less a must-use due to her high stats; I try for a while to use Vanille (for Deshell) and Hope (because he has two elements, and can heal), but end up settling on Snow because he has the most HP and is a good fast caster. I generally use Fang in COM, and either Lightning or Snow in RAV depending on whether ice or lightning is a better element, with the other in SEN/MED. Both going defensive is an option though not a great one because the more time goes by the worst things get, I really need to down the parts as fast as possible and building chain to stagger them is crucial for that. Anyway I'm never able to get three of them down before the -aga spells start flying and even two of those at once is too much, so I end up using a Fortisol to give me the offensive push I need.

Once all the parts are dead the fight is generally easier. Staying fully healed is still important because Thanatosian Smile is huge AoE physical damage that almost one-shots Lightning, but he attacks only relatively rarely (especially after Slow) so it's not too bad. Beating the crap out of him when he uses Destrudo is important so I can at least knock it down to second stage, then SEN-tanking it works.

Chapter 10! So I get secondary roles! I finally start spending CP. I'm able to get Snow Protect and Cure, Fang her first two RAV spells (Fire and Thunder) and Cure, and Hope Ruin, and that's my initial team. It struggles its way through the Fifth Ark but can take down the easier fights. Circuitrons (the local bomb-type) blowing up on the leader is something I can't handle at all, Berserkers take forever but are doable, and there are a couple fights against Noctilucale x10 which is just brutal even though their drain attack is surprisingly physical and hence Protect helps. Sazh/Lightning get Deprotect (and for Lightning, Deshell) which helps a more offensive strategy; Sazh sees some use because he also has Cure, though I usually manually control him so I can actually make use of full chains on already-statused enemies (the AI won't actually use SAB spells that have already landed). Vanille I end up building as a physical COM since she gets Attack first and her stats are more oriented that way, so I mainly pull her out against enemies who resist magic, but also because Sazh has only Deprotect. Greater Behemoths I can beat with Snow/Vanille/someone, but it takes a while so I don't do it much.

Finally I get up to Cid and get annihilated repeatedly, which makes me change my rules of the challenge so (a) I can actually beat this fight, and (b) randoms don't take forever. But I'll update that in a later post.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: December 20, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
Do I really have to pick between one of two of the old classes like permanently?  Don't get a chance at old ones refighting old bosses in Chapter 6 when I go to another alternate reality?

That kinda sucks because going from a list, pretty consistently I like the character I want the job of more than who I have to side with to unlock it.  Feels bad.

Also elves you are fucking out of control dude.  I would assume it is just you coping with ciatos being away for Chrismax, but I know you started that well before holiday season.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: December 20, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »
You get a chance to get the other class later in the game, yes.

Ciatos demand entertainment and are a large part of the reason I am doing this.

Maybe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: December 20, 2016, 05:24:48 PM »
Pokemon Sun: beat this. Final stretch was a ton of fun, final boss was a very good fight. Team at the end was: Primarina, Mudsdale(my mvp by far), electric bug dude I can't remember the species name up because I nickname all my shit, dragon/fire turtle bro(lvp, alas), Alolan Muk and Solgaleo. Solgaleo came out to deal with the decidueye but otherwise stayed in it's ball. Unsure how much aftergame if any I'm going to do.

7th Dragon 3: a fun EO-like with...probably a better skill system than most EOs. Just beat the first High Dragon we have to fight. Jobbed to it once, came back with POIZN res and, uh, actually remembered to spend my freaking skill points like an intelligent person, and facerolled him.

Demon King Chroncles: so toro is present and talked me into getting this. After too much dying to rats and frogs because the earlygame has no fucking equipment, I finally manage to find some chopsticks, then get some monkey tails and turtle blood to mix into my salad so I can fight effectively. And after using that bloody monkey turtle salad to kill a room full of red rats for sport, I found a room full of even more deadly killer rats who lived up to their name quite neatly. This is a good game.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: December 20, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
Bravely Second - So I get to pick between helping the thief who is being reintegrated into society by doing government mandated work helping the poor or a rapist who has apparently turned a new leaf and is developing nuclear power while being conservative on the outcomes of the research.

Fucking RIP morals, I really want Thief skills so I guess I side with the nuclear rapist.  Fuck.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: December 20, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »
Monster Rancher 2: Learned my combining method was flawed and Soppy and Jim were not meant to be one. I conveniently had a save right before the commission of the act, so they are restored to individuals.

I have temporarily backtracked to unlock a couple more monster species with the help of Super, a Hopper/Tiger (spawned from Brigadine).

On the other hand, Monster Rancher 4 has also arrived, so I might start bouncing between both games.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: December 21, 2016, 01:43:25 AM »
So you realised the abomination you created trying to correct your mistakes of mixed up Jims and Sopkos was worse than the original mistake.

Then you go and make a Super.

Does this man know no shame?

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: December 21, 2016, 10:07:43 PM »
Unfortunately, Tide's otherwise lackluster stats led to some crushing defeats (835 damage to the face when you don't have that many HP is bad) and I missed some early warning signs, leading to Tide dropping dead. =(

Lady, is that you?
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: December 22, 2016, 02:59:36 AM »
FF15 - 60 hours in, on Chapter 9. I am having a blast playing this in spite of its glaring, horrible deficiencies. In that way, it's almost like playing an NES game or something. I have a lot of trouble seeing this as a Final Fantasy title, but I'm glad it exists so far.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: December 23, 2016, 02:38:39 AM »
FF13 - So the current challenge is as follows:

a) Only use secondary roles in battle.
b) I can gain levels in primary roles but not use them, this is done because they give way, way better stats, and I don't like being horribly understatted. One little exception I am keeping for now is that I'm not unlocking the accessory nodes; TP moves and ATB upgrades are on the "main" paths though so there isn't any avoiding them (but to be clear I'm letting myself use even the optional TP moves)

This was first done to defeat Cid (and make randoms not take 5 minutes). Cid I still had to monkey with setup a while, eventually settling on a no-Ravager team of Vanille (COM)/Sazh (SAB for Deprotect, MED)/Snow (SYN for Protect, MED). Protect is needed to not get wrecked by his combos, Deprotect is huge because below 60% HP Cid has 50% damage resistance, Deprotect turns that -50% into a +40%, which is nearly triple my damage output. Cid's chain resistance is super-high and he has no elemental weakness so Ravager isn't actually that important. Still, this is brutal and takes me 18 minutes, 2 before Doom is cast. And that was with getting some stats, though less than you'd have on a normal playthrough.

I don't have too much to say about the rest of the dungeon. The fights do get notably tougher in this part despite my getting stat nodes, so I'm not sure I could have handled this at all if I hadn't. Then there's Bahamut, who is brutal. The good news is that Ravager Fang builds the gestalt gauge really fast! The bad news is everything else, Bahamut hits like a truck and does so quickly and often. Lightning/Vanille lock means I have no MED support and no defensive buffs and I'm still somewhat understated; I get wrecked repeatedly and eventually use both a Fortisol and Aegisol and the battle becomes kinda sane though still takes a few tries. When I do win it takes only 2 of the 3 minutes allowed.

Alexander is kinda more of the same, no Protect (which normally Hope has) makes it much harder than normal. Alexander is easier than Bahamut because he doesn't attack nearly as often but when he does he really hurts, and Hope HP is still bad, Aegisol again ultimately proves necessary. But whatever. I win, and am on to the non-linear part of the game!

At this point I enter a rather... I dunno, Saga-ish or maybe old WRPG-ish part of the game where most enemy formations and mission bosses will kill me and I have to figure out what I can defeat and reasonably gain levels off of so that I can get better and defeat other things. It's a lot of fun! It also takes forever. I've actually been on Pulse for like 15 hours now and I still haven't done the underground passage where Atomos hangs out yet; I'm already fast approaching my endgame game clock for my previous playthroughs.

PC notes...

Lightning: Didn't see much use until she got Elude from Sentinel, which lets her tank with 55% damage reduction and 70% evade. This is actually good and enabled a bunch of cool new strategies once I finally got it, because Cure healing isn't keeping up well any more (Curasa isn't available for a long time still). She also has Deprotect/Deshell which I can use for offence. Brave/Faith as well, but I haven't learned those yet.

Snow: Starts with Protect which is very important, 1/3 damage reduction lets me survive. And Cure is nice too. Eventually he got access to Shell (+Vigilance) so he could do the same in magic fights, and more recently Curse+Pain, so he can shut down physically-reliant enemies (soon to come: Fog). He's still an extremely defensive character and doesn't help me win fights faster, but sometimes his defence is absolutely necessary.

Sazh: Like Lightning, he has Deprotect/Deshell (with Imperil/Poison to come, their SAB lines are nearly identical). Early his Cure access made him much more valuable than her but now her SEN access has tipped that. I've so far ignored his own SEN so that I can focus on MED/SAB for him; if I want a SEN+SAB I will use Lightning. He has Curasa eventually but that's still roughly a million CP away, but I know it will be crucial in Chapter 12-13.

Vanille: She gets Attack notably before Ruin, so I decided to build her as my physical COM when I need one. She does basically nothing else; SEN is an option but I haven't used it yet, and her SYN features the Bar- spells but over 100k CP in, so I haven't invested in them yet. Her attack animations definitely could be faster, but she is appreciably better than Hope when I need physical damage.

Hope: Gets both Ruin and Attack immediately. Like Vanille he has, beyond that, basically just invested in stats. I got SEN unlocked for him so survive certain attacks but have barely used it; he takes way too long to actually get one of the tanking abilities. Anyway he's built for magic damage, and is good at doing that. His SAB is unfortunately junk because he only gets MT abilities and those are underpowered (25% as effective as ST spells, ugh). Usually most parties include either him or Vanille, though not always.

Fang: Only Ravager. Fortunately she gets all the elements relatively quickly; so far only Fire/Thunder/Blizzard have been justified (nothing has yet been weak to water/air without also being weak to one of those). She gets physical options soon too but I'm not certain how much I care; for now I've wanted to invest in other things. Cure of course, but also Veil/Bravera/Faithra. The latter two are short-lasting but very potent offensive buffs; casting one of those in the COM / sometimes herself goes a long way to raising my damage potential, even though they need to be recast every 30 seconds.

Some of the most problematic encounters have been against swarms of magic users, because you're supposed to disrupt/sweep them with Blitz/other AoE attacks (which I lack), dodge-tanking doesn't work on spells (SEN still viable, but not the evasion part, and I don't have Fringeward yet), and I didn't have even Shell for a long time. I've beaten the first 11 missions so far, with the exception of mission 4 (against six obnoxious little magic users who summon a boss after some time), and 9 (has 4 as a prerequisite). So far so good. I may detail individual strategies/notes for the various fights later. I've now beaten all the randoms in the Archylte Steppe, Yaschas Massif, and Vallis Media except for Behemoth Kings and Megistotherians, and of course the turtles, though some take too long to be actually efficient to gain CP off of, and/or require Phoenix Downs. I'm a little leery about using too many of those because I have no real good way of making money now, though selling Bart 1's ludicrously overvalued Entite Ring (60000 gil! For a 10-20% elemental resistance accessory) has helped.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: December 23, 2016, 02:49:37 AM »
Breath of Fire 1 - Did the sidequest to facilitate an interracial marriage between wolves and humans. As soon as the wedding happened, the General (why would he have a name) stole a giant robot and nuked the town that didn't have the marriage ceremony. I guess that's where all the racists were? The robot then refused to do any more evil so we punched General in the face. Then the robot committed suicide by jumping in a volcano, causing lava to make a bridge for me. How convenient.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: December 23, 2016, 04:28:15 AM »
Maybe his name is General! I mean, is it so hard to believe that BoF1 would have a character named General General!?!?

FF15: Clear Game stuff, side quests, WHY DOES THIS GAME HAVE A SEWER DUNGEON!!?!?   I mean, it's 100% optional at least, but it still exists and damn it, STOP IT GAME DEVS.

That's something that to this day I still don't get.  Sewer Dungeons tend to be generally agreed upon as some of the worst dungeons in...well...anything really.  They're rarely fun, horribly laid out, and have some of the blandest designs.  Yet game devs keep insisting on putting them in.  If Devs want people to like their games, why put something that a majority of the gamers absolutely hate and not in a good way?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: December 23, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
Romancing SaGa 2: I am near the end of the game and have The Final Empress.

So there were 2 of the 7 heroes left to beat.
I didn't beat the water hero. I used the underwater breathing potion only to fuck a mermaid, and I can't make another one.
Instead I went to rescue a boy and his sheep. Dantarg was walking around the dungeon, I ignored him, he went "the fuck are you doingg? Do you know I am Dantarg the hero?" And I went something like "I'm only here for the sheep dude" and he went in a rage and attacked me. Cool.

The termite scenario was the most terrifying thing in an JRPG. Holy crap. Your entire Suikoden castle gets invaded by giant termites. Just giant termites everywhere crawling in your beautiful familiar castle. All your NPC allies are dying and getting transformed into giant termites. You need to get to the sewers then your graveyard and find a secret exit there while termites are, I repeat, everywhere. They're also one of the hardest enemy types to avoid and they're buff as fuck, you can't beat them with just regular attacks and have to spend a lot of resources every fight.
You just need to go lower and lower, termites everywhere, not even sure you'd be able to get back up, letting all your people get slaughtered behind

Niu it seems there is one status immunity accessory in the game, where is it?

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2294 on: December 23, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »
Pokemon Moon: Beaten the Elite Four with my postgame team (Lunala, Nihilego, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Pheromosa, Celesteela). I also managed to assemble the completed Zygarde and completed that surprisingly sombre sidequest involving trainers who own each of the Eeveelutions so that I could get the Eevium Z. Now I'll focus on completing the Pokedex.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Finished the Dark Palace. I would not be able to have made it to the Forest Temple (Ocarina of Time's first dungeon in the second half) so quickly, and I would definitely have not made it to Arbiter's Grounds (Twilight Princess' first dungeon in the second half) in quick time due to the amount of padding 3D Zelda games tend to have.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: December 23, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »
FE Fates: The interminable kid/support grind continues.

Momodora 4: Eh, seeing Cid playing it reminded me to give it a shot.  It has some squicky vibes which aren't my thing (like Touhou, 95% of the world's population appears to be female), but seems solid enough gameplay wise.  Some giant trolling in the early map design: hustle your way into a new area, only to find a bottomless pit in one direction, a giant stone block in the other direction.  Guess I'll come back here later and was trying to do this too early, then.  Boss balance is a little weird, too - Arthropod Edea & Heretic Arsonist was real bad, Lubella was okay, but Pardoner Fennel is wrecking me despite nearly killing her in my first attempt.  I don't have a good sense at all of when I can attack her and knock her out of her move and when she'll just shrug it off and own me, and she seems to have mysterious invisible hitbox above her when she's attacking that makes jumping in super-dangerous, despite the fact that it looks like her attacks are mostly on the level.

I will say that people in this game appear to be making radical life decisions in short succession.  I'm seeking the Queen's aid to help stop a curse!  Oh but wait this knight fighting an arsonist says that I should behead the Queen instead, because she's evil.  Uh...   okay, maybe?  Then I poke my head into the abbey and get told I'm a lackey of the Queen and she won't stand for it.  I'm going to assume these people are just projecting and my character is not someone who changes sides every time the weather changes.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #2296 on: December 23, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
Pokemon Sun: Cleared the post-game. The Eite Four seemed to be easier this time around; then again I had a team full of Legendary Pokemon. Now I'm going to focus my horizons towards completing as much of the Alola Dex as I can before Bank becomes a thing which everyone can access. I might also consider challenging the Battle Tree depending on if I have the time to prepare a suitable team. Although maybe people might be able to make teams which can be shared through QR Codes before I have the chance to use my own ideas. The team I put on display last time was the one I used against the Elite 4 so I won't bother showing it off this time.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: You know what? The missions which are required for me to perform before I get Mia require me to be at post-game levels. Meaning I'm going to head straight to Chapter 12. Wish me luck on the dreaded Vita gauntlet. My Skell bills are depending on it! I might end up bringing Doug as my 4th member for the fight due to his Gravity damage being effective on the Mechanoid bosses which I'll be fighting, and I'll make my player a Full-Metal Jaguar so I can I keep an Overdrive loop going. I know I already have Elma for this purpose but you end up using her for Ghost Factory anyway.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: December 23, 2016, 09:03:13 PM »
Bravely Second - I haven't got much further, but the further I got was amazing.  So I haven't babbled about how great a pun it is that Magnolia is a Ba'al Buster, in that Ba'als are some kind of dimension distorting horrors from outer space and it is her job to kill them.  Then she got a mission to finish one up that was about to crash land nearby over comma from the moon like she is Solid fucking Snake and it was all in French.

This is the best game you guys.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: December 24, 2016, 12:18:37 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel- Started this, enjoying it so far. Past the prologue. Almost like the first episode of an anime more than a game. The in media res first part was actually pretty good. Music is pretty good. Seems like fantasy-animu P4 so much that I put my headphones on in the first schoolhall wandering part and tuned to Your Affection. Rean's stance with his sword is also very much Souji, to the point I wonder if they actually bought assets from Atlus.

I'm enjoying the tropes as much as I am mocking them. So this'll go pretty well, I think.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: December 24, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »
Elves and DJ need to get on my level.  Your Ba'al fighting ships are already lower level than my USS Fenrir (because you are the Frenchmen that defeats all my demons <3).

Bravely Second - So I get to pick between siding with Swordmaster Kamiizumi or Sunmoner whatever her name is the sociopath.   Oh wait no.  That choice is tell the guy to go back to his abusive employer who thinks that you first need to be "tested" and go through "hard work" before they will get the best out of you or telling a guy to go back and finish off his masters thesis in summoning.

This pick is easier than whether to work with a nuclear rapist, but oh whoops I already took a physical hub and Summon to replace Spellcraft later on in the game seems like a goer.  So fuck your dreams, feed yourself feet first into the wheels of capitalism random dude.  Edit - this is also literal.  He was told to turn the turbines in Ancheim by hand, those ones that the whole town was doing in the first game.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 06:57:04 PM by Grefter »