Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 455485 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3850 on: October 06, 2008, 04:03:03 AM »
World of Warcraft TCG: I'll post the long story later (for all the general TCG fans out there who I'll pretend care about non-Magic games), but short story is, through a series of flukes, I managed to make it to the Top 8 at the Realms Qualifiers. Through a series of decent plays, I managed to make it to the Top 2. Couldn't claim 1st place, but hey. I qualify for the Regional Championship come November... provided I can make the trip to Seattle.

Awesome.  You'll have to let me know when it is exactly if you can make it so I can come check it out. 

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3851 on: October 06, 2008, 05:34:23 AM »
The problem is that by late-game, I had almost no healing items and even randoms were able to kill me at times.

I had my Mediums set up with their stat boosts in mind and most of the skills I used from them were statusblockers. Jet had all the STR-boosting mediums, Gallows had HP-boosting and I can't remember what Clive and Ginny had. I think SPD and MAG, respectively.

I never really used Gatling until the endgame, so that might have been the problem. I remember using it a bit at the beginning and then basically forgetting it existed. Nearly all my damage came from Jet/Clive physicals and Ginny/Gallows MT gems/magic... though the magic wasn't nearly strong enough and I was running out of gems a lot.

I tried using Valiant a lot, but this normally just ended in a dead character due to having only Gallows pitiful healing (and what few healing items would drop from randoms).

I may have been underlevelled... but it couldn't have been by much. The biggest problem was always just running out of healing options, especially once the buffer HP that restores after battle was used up.

Equally frustrating was dealing with random encounters during puzzles, which often lead to re-doing LOTS of puzzles...

Apart from no items, no Gatling, and possibly being underlevelled, am I missing something when it comes to game-breaking here?

-Djinn

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: October 06, 2008, 05:41:29 AM »
I honestly have no idea. But I probably wouldn't be much help anyway, because I don't remember how I set up my party in WA3, and I never felt even remotely threatened by randoms, much less lost to bosses(well, one or two might have given me a reset, I think.  The final did if you count that reset attack it has). I used Lucky Cards lots. Maybe that might have something to do with it? I don't know.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: October 06, 2008, 05:48:07 AM »
WA3 bosses are fine, but the randoms are things you should be able to effectively mash with the right tactics. Sounds like you weren't using Mystic Gems or Summons enough, for instance, which goes a long way to removing the damage you'll take in randoms, easing the stress on your berry supply.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3854 on: October 06, 2008, 05:57:28 AM »
You should really have Gallows with Aqua Wisp and Lust Jaw at the least, crazy magic boost gives his magic some good punch, and weakness (Hitting weakness deals 4x damage instead of 2x) makes it crazy, and in general everything but the plot bosses has an elemental weakness, so you can swap whatever third Medium he needs to hit it around.  Magical Ginny is really good in the midgame due to Mystic Gem abuse, admittedly, so I can see why you'd stack them on her, but Gallows will always be the hardcore mage.

Jet's... really the utility boy at heart.  He's not really good at anything, so you stick him with what's left over or what you need done after the ohter three do their thing.  Meeple's always sworn by sticking Replay on him, which actually works pretty well but if you're not pulling out huge damage turns it loses a lot of value.

Ginny's the best healer due to Mystic Berries, but you were having big problems with item stock which goes a long, long way to explaining your troubles with the game and also why I was more baffled by your lack of damage than having trouble surviving (if you don't have a good stock of Potion and later Mega Berries... yeah, it IS a problem)

Clive... really, he's at his best just piling on strength boosters and Hyper and sticking wiht Lock-On.  He can do other things, but I always felt he was at his best doing that.  It's fairly steady damage, which is a plus, but does require a fair whack of ARMs boosting.  PS: His speed is NOT salvagable.  It's not worth trying >.>

Basically what I'm seeing is trying to cover weaknesses rather than enchancing strengths with your setup, which just isn't the way WA3 is designed and, if you're not familiar with the game, is going to lead to problems.  So, yeah, ouch man.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: October 06, 2008, 06:21:08 AM »
Wow, trying to fix Clive's speed? I'm so sorry, man.

Regardless, just sounds like you didn't focus on the strengths as much as the weaknesses, and a few glaring mistakes were made. For an example, Gallows with a HP-based setup? Fairly unnecessary, he has game-best HP anyway, and the money mediums for him - i.e. the ones that raise his magic - tend to also give a couple boosts that way. Jet... yeah, he's the whatever boy. He uses those speed mediums far better than Clive could ever hope to, since he doesn't do anything but buffing the party terribly competently, while Clive benefits from the Strength boosting far more (12k Hypered crit physicals? Oh why yes!). Boosting Ginny's Magic is a good idea on paper, but I found it often unnecessary: she OHKOs randoms with Mystic gems or summons in the midgame (assuming you're hitting weaknesses) even sans boosting, and once that stops working for good, the Phantasmic Heart option shows up. Graaaaanted, if she needed the extra oomph, swap Medium, boom, swap back, there you go. WA3 is awesome like that.

Given those setups, doesn't seem surprising that you had so many issues, since enemies getting turns -will- put some pressure on an item supply without the cushion of a Secret Garden, and wearing out resources is mostly what WA3 enemies try to do.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:25:47 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: October 06, 2008, 06:25:01 AM »
And now it's Yggdrasil time, again.  Hopefully this time my interest will hold past Chapter 2.

Current setup.

Ginny - Dark Rune, Cosmic Cog
Her job is to simply abuse Mystic with Lucky Cards and Gems (gem counts currently ranging from 26 to 76 depending on type) as well as a fully stocked Green Thumb so if she does need to do healing, Heal Berries go for 600, keeping them still useful, and Potion Berries go for 2000, making them full party healing.  She also has a good finisher in 10-Shot Gatling, which when paired with Valiant just makes her stupidly good.  Bonus points for being able to safely get her down to low HP against Leehalt, much to his chagrin.

Clive - Earth/Fire runes.
More Power!  Yeah, his gun has gotten a couple of bullet upgrades and the rest have just been poured into his attack.  He's got two jobs.  First is to smack things, hard.  The second is to use Power Cancel in order to deal with anything untoward the opposition might have done, up to and including killing someone (that is why he has revive).  Also a good last-ditch carrot slinger.

Jet - Lucky Hit, Flash Hit
Because I don't use his FP for a whole lot, he gets to start battles off by Valianting things, and doing the status curing.  Then he just chips in with the hurt, or item use I can foretell ahead of time.  Yeah, he's mostly just utility, but he's good at that.  His main use is actually opening treasure chests.  With permanent best luck and the chest opening PS, he seems to have a 100% chance of disarming traps, which is good stuff and saves a lot of grief.

Gallows - Water/Wind runes
He's my primary healer, though I'm getting more and more tempted to give him Flash Hit so that he can do some Valiant Extending and save me time and grief.  This becomes more and more feasable as I get more and more Mini Carrots to Mystic.  Aside from that, just as the Moon Rune seems to be permanently Virginia's, the Water Rune is permanently his, and he does his job well.  At present, he also has Counter Attack as a backup method of gaining FP.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: October 06, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
Lacking a good supply of berries and having no way to restock them would make WA3 very brutal very fast I think.  It starts heading that way around the time you fight... Angol Mois?  Whatever the thing you start to fuck up with Gravity attacks (just a bit before you can unlock the garden).  At that point, Potion Berries are still a bit of a premium and 300 HP is sweet fuck all while Gallows healing is pretty subpar.  Yeah I can see WA3 being really hard without the secret garden.

That said it isn't really hard to find either.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3858 on: October 06, 2008, 09:55:33 AM »
I still don't know where the Secret Garden is and I didn't even know of its existence until I was in the final dungeon and I finally pulled up a walkthrough to see WTF had gone wrong and why I couldn't kill anything at a decent rate. (By the final dungeon, I was pretty much relying on Finest Arts even for randoms...)

So yeah, perhaps I played a WA3 challenge unintentionally... ^_^;;

-Djinn

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »
It is like dead north of Gallow's village, after you get past the winding caverns that head east, you loop back to the north of there.  There is a spot you need a horse to jump over (Or you know land the dragon thing at... pretty sure it can land there).  Covered in forest, Secret Garden is there.  Like most WA things there is some townspeople that mention it if you talk to them and whatnot.

I can see missing it, but it isn't super secretly hidden or anything either.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: October 06, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
Thanks again Tal, Tai, OK.

Saving Focus until I start getting better physical skills for it to go with then.

Tornado is badass =)

OK!! - I used my Deathstone on Matador =(

Obelisk - Almost at the top I think. Stuck on annoying puzzle where the Morae Sisters are hiding >.>

Yay WA3 talk~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Taishyr

« Reply #3861 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »
You get more Deathstones. Don't worry about it too much.

Also: yeah, those puzzles are a bit annoying. If I recall correctly, the puzzle right at the end is the one where you need to talk to all three within one phase of Kagatsuchi. Don't remember how to do that, tho. >_>

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: October 06, 2008, 11:32:21 AM »
I'm getting very tempted to replay WA3 now.  D2 can wait, and so can DQ8.

BvS - OK, this is getting silly.  Wil just got his third Fox Rune today.  Jack got shafted yesterday with only getting 5th in the daily rankings (though he did get Sannin).  Irwin finally passed Math Problem (Yes, Strawberry/Sporty/Vanilla/Nightfall was used) and Strawberry went up to level 2.  Now all Irwin needs is to get 15 wins in the arena tomorrow (I'm currently out of Tasty Burgers) to get Doughman and his Warrior, and then he'll only be a stone's throw away from finishing Monochrome.

By the way, Hokage's (An Immortal Realm) Leader basically killed the village by trying his best to send as many people as possible to his IM Rush character's newest village.  I WANT TO BURN HIM.  THEN STAB HIM WITH A RUSTY SPORK, FOLLOWED BY DEVOURING HIS VITAL ORGANS.

Mmmmmmm...  Ribs...

Perfect World - I'm now hopelessly addicted.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3863 on: October 06, 2008, 12:36:03 PM »
Doooo iiiit~
Come on Magic: WA3 replay challenge mode: No Secret Garden/Gatling/Summons. For extra fun, only use mediums that boost a character's weakest stat so that you have to rely on Finest Arts for endgame randoms.

What? Obviously it can be done...

-Djinn

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: October 06, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »
To be a little more specific, there's an NPC in Humphrey's Peak that will mention, to a non-Clive person, two seperate places.  One is a major dungeon later on, the other is the secret garden.  The one you can reach right then is the secret garden.  Also, lots of people start mentioning random heal berries floating on the wind from that location, as well as a random sign right by it that hints at being able to get heal berries from there too.

It is a secret, but one the game goes out of it's way to toss you plenty of hints about.

Of course, given all the breeding I've done, the only thing I'm actually up on from using the Secret Garden is Carrots and Holy Roots (the latter I haven't even needed yet).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: October 06, 2008, 05:00:34 PM »
In general, and this seems to be agreed upon, best use you'll make out of characters when you get all mediums is the following:

Ginny towards tanking.  She's fast enough to outpace most enemies without any mediums, and is pretty much faster than 99% of the bosses already, where she'll be healing most of the time.  Taking her down this route gives a few side benefits that make it even more appealing, like giving her Zephyr for the first turn nukings of randoms (even without magic boosts, Zephyr hits like a truck on PCs not Jet), more HP to abuse Valiant with, and lots of stat buffers for things to do when she's not healing.

Clive towards physical damage; freaking obvious it hurts.  He's the one character whose Physical damage is actually worth noting cause its so much better than everyone else's, and his base accuracy being really good to boot means he won't have to worry about wasting any boosts (he'll want 2 Bullets, admittedly, so he can use Gatling since it can be more efficient than Lock On in some cases.  Also, more Bullets = less turns spent reloading.)

Gallows towards magic; also really obvious!  Actually, Aqua Wisp/Lust Jaw/Love Charm combo was pretty much MADE for him.  Gives Extension Heal, Weakness PS with 3 Elements to play with (Water, Darkness and Ice), Weaken spell to back up Weakness (and again, 3 elements means you can pretty much always put a weakness on SOMEONE, since Weaken fails on those who naturally resist that Element in some manner.)

This leaves Jet with all the left overs...might as well build him towards speed so you have a second character who always goes first, making him a good item boy.  If you build Gallows and/or Clive properly, Replay does some pretty brutal things, effectively, transforming Jet's worthless turn into a means to double Clive or Gallows damage.

Of course, this isn't to say there are other effective ways to go, but this really feels like the best to me!

Anyway...

SONIC PLOT!!!: In the middle of Chapter 2.

Game is showing potential, though one thing that is clashing with me is my ability to pull off POW moves.  Most particular, the timed hits one.  Rapid presses and following the circle ones I can do, but I always seem to fuck up the timed hits.  Thankfully, Items don't use that so it usually accounts for only support skills (which...it sounds like Items can make up to some extent), and damage moves.

Otherwise, battle system is kind of neat, map screens lacking true randoms, instead going the route of "You can see enemies, though some respawn!" makes it so you don't get annoyed when trying to figure out puzzles, etc.

Also follows suit from SMRPG in that the game likes to capture random aspects from the home game to give a feel that its a Sonic game.  By which I mean, in SMRPG, Mario could jump, there were platforming puzzles, Chests were like boxes, what have you; it gave off a Mario feel!
Here, they do things that fit Sonic; there are random loops to run through, springs to jump on, rings are scattered around for no good reason, what have you.

This mostly shows they took their time to make it an actual splicing of Sonic and an RPG, not just "hey, its an RPG, WITH SONIC CHARACTERS!!11!!11"

Anyway, game looks promising enough...no, its not likely to become this almighty godly game, but if things continue the way they are, it should be somewhat enjoyable, and nice fluff game.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: October 06, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »
Build Virgina to Speed and Attacking, Jet to Magic and Defense, Clive to Speed and Magic and Gallows to Attacking.  Don't bother with Mystic it is worthless and make sure that Clive is your healer.

Crap that last bit is vaguely ok advice since he goes last.  Uh.  ...Crap.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
Last time I went through WA3, I remember not using ANY of the PS items.  Why?  I dunno, but I never saw Finest Arts once, if that means anything.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: October 06, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »
An abundance of healing items is far far bigger a boost to your survivability than PS items.  Although the boss with MT ID would be a bitch without giving one or two people ID immunity.

Finest Arts conditions are kind of obscure anyways.

Edit - I played the game through with only having 2 bullets for Clive.  It was a bad idea, but it isn't a huge deal, 2 rounds is normally enough to deal with randoms and boss fights, meh the physical damage isn't a huge portion of your damage.

ThePredster

• New User
  • sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: October 06, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »
Currently playing SO3 and Legend of Dragoon again. Then i might pick up either FFIX or RE 4 again

I upload all videos on my youtube channel channel

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: October 07, 2008, 01:12:24 AM »
*Nods* Cool.

WA:XF- C1 was a bit dry, game is picking up though.

Shut up, Ragnar.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: October 07, 2008, 02:39:44 AM »
I'm not sure I can properly express the joy that is seeing even Super wanting Ragnar to shut up.  Don't worry though, Super.  Once Ragnar's villain is introduced, he'll have even more reasons to talk than ever before!

FF3DS: Beaten.

I do think I like the revamped version of Dark Cloud a little bit more, for all that it is far less forgiving about bad luck on the timing than the original was.  The thing that really helped was understanding how the tentacles worked, and knowing to off the physical immune one first.  Was considering hacking off the magical one too, but it mostly contented itself with Bad Breath, and I generally needed Arc to heal anyways.  So, Luneth hung around in the back row chucking shurikens and useless legendary pointy things, while Refia sliced and diced.  Ignus swapped around between buffing and healing.  And, I won just before I'd have needed to bust out the first elixir.

Looking at the game, I just have to look at two classes that really stood out.  The White Mage Chain, because there's nothing else in the game that can really compare to what this class brings to the party.  Unlike later games where a viable chemist can make healing items worthwhile for a long time, here you really only have white magic to keep you going.  But, then, this is a long standing thing.

The other class that is oddly good is the Warrior, aka the Wood Chipper.  Takes a little while to truly stand out from the crowd, but once you get the Royal and Blood swords, the Warrior is your best damage dealer, bar none.  Really, the Warrior only gets challenged around the time you're fighting Garuda, in large part because you've been three dungeons without any upgrades whatsoever, while every other class (including the Knight, due to their unique initial armour) has been upgraded.  Then you hit the Sunken Cave, pick up the Ancient Sword and Diamond equips, then follow that up with a pair of defenders in the next two dungeons and you never look back again.

Anyways, the little animations in the ending credits were amusing.  And the final chain of music is probably the best stuff in the game, so it was a nice treat for the ears.

What's next for travelling around?  Probably reading, possibly Front Mission.  Although I want to play Izuna, it's really badly designed for travel purposes, so maybe some other time for that.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: October 07, 2008, 02:47:10 AM »
I ought to punch you in the face for suggesting that I'd like Ragnar.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: October 07, 2008, 04:01:32 AM »
Looking at the game, I just have to look at two classes that really stood out.  The White Mage Chain, because there's nothing else in the game that can really compare to what this class brings to the party.  Unlike later games where a viable chemist can make healing items worthwhile for a long time, here you really only have white magic to keep you going.  But, then, this is a long standing thing.

And yet, I've played the entire game with Red Mage using 2 Shields as my main healer (til near the end where...uh, yeah, you kind of want Curaja and such) and never once felt I was lacking in anything.  Red Mage, believe it or not, makes a fine enough healer, has enough MP to last bosses, and you can get by with healing items between randoms.  The Durability boost he brings is certainly nice (alongside the status immunities due to what Shields grant.)

Note I'm not saying Red Mage is strictly better, just saying that White Mage isn't as crucial as you're making it out to be.  There are in fact other options that can replace it.

Also, Warrior does get challenged on damage if you do pick up Gungnir from Odin (JL71+ Thief stealing from him; this is a lot easier than it sounds actually, since Thief is a fast Job leveling class), though yes, its typically always up there for damage.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: October 07, 2008, 04:46:33 AM »
SRWZ: Genesic Gunleon! Damn, The Heat Crusher is shiny. Bit underpowered, surprisingly - it's basically Shine Spark without the S rank - but very far from bad. Also, Big O's upgrade is pretty sweet, and Beck The Great RX-3 is made of win. Damn Banpresto for not giving it Token or making Beck recruitable. Damn them, I say!

Niu, can you shed any light on the supposed recruitment of Ray and Charles? Those two are handy and I'd like to keep them around.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.